Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Yuri on Cosmopolitan November 2013 Issue

'Jung Eun', who receives loves from Lee Jongsuk and Seo Inguk in the film 'No Breathing', is far different from the first love character that women hate. She often hits guys in the back of the head, eat chicken feet greedily in front of the guy likes her. She doesn't confuse guys, she doesn't cry to apologize them either. After meeting Yuri, who doesn't act like that at all, can't imagine who else could have played Jung Eun.



Cosmopolitan: How was today shoot? You played in front of the camera as you were thinking,'Try taking my picture if you can'. This is something reporters are appreciated for. Since there are a certain amount of female celebrities who are stubborn in listening to poses and facial expressions that they think suits best for them, regard which less of the photoshoot concept.


Yuri: I was similar to that in the past, too. Not too long after the debut, I was stubborn and made poses that I thought it looked pretty. After doing that and attempting, I learned that I will look a lot prettier when I have natural face expression. While the photoshoots, I think pretty photos only come about what they are taken to suit the concept. Of course, your face will look pretty then,too.


Cosmopolitan: Well, you do own a gorgeous face... 
Yuri: No, it's really not! (laugh) 

Cosmopolitan: The style you wore today is pretty, too? Do you usually dress like this?
 
Yuri: First of all, I like comfortable things. Dressing clothes in a girly way doesn't really suit me. Among my members, some enjoy dressing up femininely, but with my character, I can't wear myself with accessories and dress up beautifully. I like comfortable styles most. The colour black is also the best.


Cosmopolitan: Yuri's highlight is straight black hair, I was surprised to hear that you changed your hair to a two-tone colour hair before the shoot. I'm wondering what pushed you to the decision to change it.

Yuri: Things have been a bit dull. Especially my hair colour. My life recently has been okay. I thought it would be fun to change my hair colour before the photoshoot and coincidentally, I didn't know that it suits the concept.


CosmopolitanWhen other members have cut their long hair, dyed it blonde and had unexpectable changes, Yuri's hair didn't seem to change. If you were to change your style, how would you want to change it?

Yuri: If I was be given an opportunity, I want to try having bangs, and also bob haircut. Not now, but later. I want to change slowly. Up until now, I barely had any transformations since the promoting compared to other members. So I think when I do change my style, the effect will come bigger and I'm saving for that moment.


Cosmopolitan: When you look at girl groups attempting new styles for their album and some styles can be considered as the worst. If you are in this situation, are there any past photos of yourself that you want to erase?
 
Yuri: What for really, I have lots of the most worst thing. Especially airport fashion! (laugh loudly) I usually like comfortable styles, and I wear things that are more comfortable to the airport. But due to the fact that airport fashions are being noticed, I can’t left out that.


Cosmopolitan: Personally, out of 9 members in SNSD, I think Yuri suits with ‘Cosmopolitan’ the most. You bring a strong beauty with full of energy and very attractive. 
Yuri: If you think so, I’m really happy. ‘Cosmo’ showed a style of women in a perfect way. This is also the magazine that I like the most. It is great right?  
Cosmopolitan: When you feel sexy? The moments that you feel you look okay.



Yuri: After I get out a shower? When I don't have anything on my face. I think that women who have basic looks are beautiful. Except people who are pretty due to makeup, people who look pretty because they have nice skin and appearing pretty with just only straight hair from healthy hair. Also when they have nice body, they looks pretty in whatever clothes. Oh, and appearing healthy looks is the prettiest..

Cosmopolitan: I have watched a documentary film of SMTOWN ‘I Am’ last night. More than the moment you performed at Madison Square Garden, the moment of the group stepped down the stage and cried at their comeback backstage made me choke up. Because it made me feel that you really had a mixture of feelings. Still you remember that moment vividly?
 
Yuri: Definitely. That is for SBS show. It was really hard to express the feelings that I received after stepping down the stage, the stage that I have waited for 7 years. The members gave others encouragement, but that moment only had full of feelings. Because 9 of us counted each fingers until our debut day.
 
Cosmopolitan: You passed SM’s audition, passed the high competition. Have you ever heard your reasons behind your casting?
 
Yuri: Ah, once I asked the person chose me. I asked, “What did you think when you chose me?” At that time, from my perspective, I’m ugly, can’t sing, can’t dance. I can’t even pronounce well. I even started to cry while singing in front of a camera. But they said that they liked my style after whatever I did without being shy. I was in year 5.

Cosmopolitan: I watched a video when you were in a red sport gear and dancing ‘Sara’ by BoA; when was that?
 
Yuri: That was after a voice audition, and after a year of training. I wasn’t scare anymore, and I dance without being afraid, it just because I like it.

Cosmopolitan:
 Count from your trainee days til now, it has been 12 years? Or 13 years? 
Yuri: It has been more than 14 years.

Cosmopolitan: Is there any moment where something was totally out of your power?

Yuri: When I was a trainee, it was a really snowy day. The roads were so slippery and people said you shouldn't go outside. I don't know the reason that I had to go, but as soon as school ended, I went the practice. Not so surprise, the hill was so slippery and I fell a number of times. I had such a hard time get to where I want and unfortunately, the practice was cancelled. Occasionally, there were times where lessons would get cancelled. I spent 2 hours to get there, so what do you mean by cancelling. I was really disappointed and felt that they could have just at least contacted us before.

Cosmopolitan: Don't moments such like that make you want to give up on the street and cry?

Yuri: I cried. I cried while I got on the subway, and there wasn't even a seat. At that time, after practice, I would always go home sitting on the subway's floor. Especially on that day, I seemed very pathetic sitting on the floor. I had a vocal nodules too, and didn't have lot of days left until the evaluation.... I had a hard time because I didn't like anything was happening around me.

Cosmopolitan: It’s not similar to your comfortable style, I think you are a complex person. I’ve heard that you even cried because your voice doesn’t work well while you were learning acting.
 
Yuri: For the first time I stepped in a university, the first thing is to erase a SNSD Yuri appearance. Through out the lesson, there were time that I have to do weird things more than others. Such as, there was a mission we have to do, two people will go together and act like you are others’ mirror. A male student in class expressed a person doesn’t feel good by wrinkling his face too much. I copied that, but I really felt shy to do that since I’m not friendly to anyone. But I had no choice, and you know what? After approaching that, there was something broken. The most important thing is breaking the wall that I built. I think that I have learned lots of things by playing with normal friends. About acting, instead of only study in lessons, I feel lots of things by communicating with everyone is even more important. While promoting and becoming bigger each year, there were times I felt my feelings became so stupid. So, I tried to remember small things I’ve experienced. Such as face expression at specific time.

Cosmopolitan: Again the, skills will improve as you keep trying at it.
Yuri: That is why I try not be too stiff or think too much while acting. Something I have heard lots of time, the sensibility is the most important thing while acting. I made me think that I shouldn't try to forget the innocent feelings that only a child could possess.

Cosmopolitan: There was I time I really thought Girls' Generation looked pretty is when I saw you showing your 'kkab' moves on a variety show. But after you started acting, it seemed like you had taken that variety show MC's requests of it as a burden.

Yuri: There wasn't anything like that. I really want to become someone with a variety of colours. When I got the 'Anna' role in 'Fashion King', I did worry whether I would be able to handle this character. The image I had show until now is a cheerful character, so I wondered if anyone would see me as a strict, naughty and ambitious 'Anna'. It turns out that the director casted me without knowing much about my background. I heard that one he saw one of my pictures and commented that it looks exactly similar to 'Anna's appearance. He said he thought it could be some kind of story behind the cold face.

Cosmopolitan: Similar to is lots of attractiveness on stage, and then become shy in TV variety show - there aren’t that many female artists show sexy in similar situation.
 
Yuri:
 I really want to become a person like that. So I want to learn more about Hyori-unnie. She always confident. She eats vegetable and involve in charity work isn’t what she borned with it, she has chosen for herself. Looking at her living like that, I really think she’s amazing. It’s similar to her making songs and ways she shows different style. I’m jealous with ways she saves her life along with actives as a celebrity.

Cosmopolitan: That means the casting was possible because he wasn't aware? Haha.

Yuri: I thought it was a total relief that the director didn't know much about me. Thanks to that, I was able to show a completely different image from what have people thought of me. There haven't been any similarities between scenarios I recieved, so I'm glad.

Cosmopolitan: When you appeared in 'Fashion King, there was a strong, settled feeling. There was a complicated side of your character, but the character semmed like a very handful for a person in acting. But the character 'Jung Eun' in the upcoming film 'No Breathing' is completely opposite to 'Anna', and is a bright, free person. I feel that your mood would be different from just going to the set.

Yuri: It was totally different. When I was going to the set, doesn't matter my condition or situation, I was always in a good mood. The bright, healthy and fresh energy of the character impacted me.

Cosmopolitan: How was the set of your first movie?


Yuri: Film was something that I always desired to try. I was curious as why people are so enthusiastic about film and enjoy watching the. Comparing it to drama, I think film a movie suits my personality more. For any job, I completely engage in it, invest my time and get great feelings of accomplishing my efforts I put in. Stepping away from the results  U was very happy just being able just to think about the role. I also liked the changes made with the staff on set as time passed. For my first work, I was in charge of a complex character and things on set ran breathlessly, so things were a bit over controlled for me. But I was able to communicate with the director alot during the filming and filmed with time to spare, so it was really pleasure. I also learned how much effort and time people put in and take part in for one movie scene.


Credits to video CosmopolitanKorea
Credits to Jekwon for scanning
Credits to interview translation links 1; 2

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Open Cbox